Dallas Electrical Conservation Tips & Ideas
Helping You Save Big on Energy Bills
Keep your hard-earned money in your pocket by cutting back on energy use. At Arrow Electric, Inc., we are dedicated to helping our customers in every way we can. In the 20 years that we’ve been in the industry, we have seen how energy consumption can have a huge impact on electricity bills. That’s why our Dallas electricians are more than happy to provide you with some of our tried and tested electrical conservation tips and ideas. We are hoping that this information can help you get big savings on your energy bills.
Free Energy Saving Tips
Below are some things that you can easily practice at home:
- Setting your thermostat to lower temperatures– Lowering your thermostat in the 60 to 70-degree range can already give you a five percent saving on heating cost. You may also want to time your thermostat to automatically shut down at night or when leaving home for up to 20% of energy saving.
- Eliminating waste energy- Turn off lights and other electronics in rooms that are unoccupied. You may also want to make sure that all electrical appliances that are not in use such as your spare refrigerator in the garage or your kitchen and bath ventilating fans are unplugged or turned off.
- Reducing your water heater temperature– If the weather is not that cold, you may want to set your water heater temperature to normal setting or 120-degree for up to 11% energy saving.
- Shortening your shower time- Not only can this help you conserve electricity by cutting down on water heater energy costs, you also get savings from your water bills.
- Using your appliances efficiently– Make sure to only use the dishwasher or clothes washer when you have a full load. You may also opt to use cold water in washing your clothes to get up to 75% of energy saving.
- Turning your computers off and putting monitors to sleep– If you’re going to step away from your computer to make snacks or go to the bathroom, you may want to put it in sleep mode to save energy. However, if you’re done using your computer, turning it off is the best way to save on energy costs.
- Unplugging your “leaking energy” electronics– New appliances such as TVs, game consoles, chargers, computer peripherals and other electronics use electricity even when they are switched off. It may be convenient for you to keep them plugged in, but if you want to save on energy costs, it is better to keep them unplugged when not in use.
- Taking care of your HVAC including your ducts and vents– A dirty or faulty heating or air conditioning system works doubly hard, which means double the energy cost. Change your filters regularly and make sure that your any leaks in your ducts and vents are also properly sealed.
- Wrapping your water heater with insulation– When insulating a gas water heater, especially when you have an older water heater, leave the air intake vent uncovered to save up to 10% on energy costs.
Energy Saving Investments
If you’re in the market for new appliances or planning to remodel your home, you may want to consider investing in energy-efficient solutions that can give you huge savings in the long run.
Here are some energy-efficient suggestions:
- Look for Energy Star® appliances and electronics
- Install programmable thermostats
- Increase ceiling insulation
- Install low flow shower heads
- Choose high-efficiency windows
There’s nobody that understands quite as we do at Arrow electric that it can be costly to have an electric bill. There is a multitude of different reasons for why an electric bill could Skyrocket seemingly in a month from things other than just extra use. Just reach out to an electrician Dallas and you’re going to be able to see how they recommend you save your money the best because they’ll get a better scope on your house then we will.
There’s some tips tricks and ideas that we are going to outline on how you can bring those cost down or at least get to better understand the cost of the electric in your house in the first place and where some of it may be going. Well, you don’t get a receipt at the end of each month for the breakdown of the electric of your house and where it all went like 30% into the TV and 10% into the hairdryer you will know the overall amount of electricity that you have used and you will be able to see for yourself when you make the small changes in your day-to-day life how they amount to big changes on your bill. Only a trusted electrician Dallas will be able to give you the real answers though.
In 2019 the US Energy Information Administration conducted a study on how much electricity the average American home will use. Their findings indicated that the average annual electric consumption for U.S. residential utility customers was about 11,000 kilowatt-hours. This is an average of about 915 kilowatt-hours per month. While these may just be fancy numbers that we are throwing at you it is also important to understand what the cost of an actual kilowatt-hour is. A kilowatt-hour is total energy used in kilowatts X the time in hours. This is the most common billing unit for electric utility services. The average price people pay for electricity can be anywhere from about $0.08 a kilowatt-hour to $0.15 a kilowatt-hour. It’s all just going to depend on your provider, However, an electrician Dallas in your area is going to be able to help you figure out what your exact cost is.
If we go ahead and take that price of $0.15 a kilowatt-hour and multiply it by 11000 kilowatt-hours we are going to be able to see that the average cost for a year for the average home is going to be about $1,650. If we go ahead and divide this by 12 we are also going to be able to see that this is about $140 a month spent on electricity. Imagine what you could do if you were to gain back at least $40 and then you would be able to take your wife out to dinner. You would shake the hands of the electrician Dallas that showed you these techniques. It is very important to make sure that whenever you are taking a look at the cost of electricity here you know that this is just a national average there are some people that consistently pay more than this and they’re going to be some people that pay a lot less than this. The whole goal here is to reduce how much you pay in general though through cost-saving techniques.
Most of the electrical energy in your house will probably be split among heat and air utilities as well as lighting and water heating. In fact, up to 60% of your bill alone can come from utilities used in your house. This is how we can make the biggest difference in our monthly budget, by simply going after the biggest things on our budget and reducing them. You consult with an electrician Dallas they are going to be able to help you get a low down on some of the energy draw in your house.
Another one of the biggest household sinks of electricity is going to come in the form of lighting your establishment. There’s going to be a lot of different light features that you may have running in your house consistently 24/7 these lights are going to be some of the biggest drains when it comes to your electrical bill and some sources will actually say that it could cause up to 10% of your bill in electricity for lighting alone. A lot of the different light sources in your house may also have fans attached to them and they can run constantly 24/7 if you don’t make sure you turn them off.
In about the remaining 40% of your bill, there’s going to be a few different factors that are going to start adding up. These are going to be a lot of little things that are going to have quite the impact when you look at them in there. These are going to be things like having a toaster plugged in constantly or even a modern gaming console. There are a lot of different devices out there nowadays that are going to continue to leech electricity from the walls even when they are considered to be in off mode. A trusted electrician Dallas technician will show you how they continuously drain power. The biggest way to make sure that you were saving money on these items is going to fully unplug them from the wall so that way they are unable to draw electricity through the wall outlet. This is also true on the grandest scale and if you’re ever going to go on vacation and you know you don’t need your refrigerator or any of these other machines working you can just turn off the power to the main circuit breaker.
Refrigeration and other appliances are also going to make up a solid 15% of your remaining bill. These things like the television and the microwave and the oven are all going to be continuously leeching power as well as some of the other console-based devices that you might have at your house. Hopefully, you can now see that you were going to be able to reduce the scope of your bill considerably by making sure that you unplug certain devices and make sure that you limit the use of other utilities within your own home.